Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Mama Lenny and the Remedy - Blues, Rock and Dress Up!


Because it's the small things in life plus those all just go well together.  There's so much pressure when you're writing about your own band.  (Yes that teal dress in the background is little ole me!) And I can honestly say that I really do love this group of musicians for so many reasons.  We've been a band for almost 3 years - wow! - and I'm really proud of the music we have made in that time.  You see, there are 8 of us in the group and I'm sure you heard the phrase that herding musicians is like herding cats? Well, this rule most definitely applies to us.  But something magical happens when we do find ourselves together, we make music that reminds me why I love what I do.  We have fun, we like each other (trust me, this is not always the case with bands - note we still have all original 8 members), and it's something I would listen to even if I wasn't in the group.  Our sound is constantly evolving, which is a good thing.  It means we're still growing.  What started as a retro soul sound has naturally morphed into more of a bluesy rock and even some prog in there, which really is a good representation of us as a whole.  We still have that retro soul (because we LOVE Motown as a band) but we also enjoy so many other kinds of music as individual musicians that those influences are starting to pop through.  One thing that hasn't changed much is that we still like to play dress-up for our shows.  If you haven't been in a band with 5 ladies before, let me just say that you are missing out - our backstage hosts glitter and sparkle and sequins galore!! We've been through a lot in our 3 short years as a band; we've experienced life (think babies, marriage, divorce, graduations, real jobs, and a big move) but yet we've managed to keep playing music together which is something really special.  So I hope that you'll come listen to our something special this Saturday.  We'll be playing Bohemian Nights at NewWestFest on the Mountain Ave Stage at 5:15 PM.  And in true Mama Lenny and the Remedy fashion, we're debating our set list over email and deciding what colors we should wear!


No comments:

Post a Comment